| Avoiding Carbon Monoxide (CO) in your New Home
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
Learn more about poisons in the home.
Learn about radon gas and what you can do to protect your home .
Two covered porches span the front of this quaint three-bedroom one story home. Inside, the family room provides an intimate setting for family and friends, with the eat-in kitchen politely tucked to the side. All three bedrooms adjoin the family room area and share a centralized bath.
Steps to Reduce Exposure to Carbon Monoxide in your Home
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
- Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.
- Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
- Over gas stoves, install and use an exhaust fan vented to the outdoors.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
- Do not idle the car inside garage.
Courtesy of Partnership for Advancing Housing Technology (PATH)